POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Struggle (aka Dandelion v1) : Re: Version 2 Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 2
From: Chambers
Date: 23 Feb 2006 11:55:14
Message: <43fde8f2$1@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> "Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>> OK, here's the next draft.  Some obvious, some not so obvious
>> improvements.
>
> I missed this before now since it's png. Opened them to take a look this
> time.

Sorry, I hadn't thought of that.  I'll put future postings in JPG.

>> - The texture for the dirt in the jar.  This is just bugging me.
>
> Your dirt has the old POV 'crand' appearance, so maybe it should be less
> uniform. Possibly a layering needed with less air in the lowest parts?
> That's what occurs to me when I think of dirt in a jar. Could be as simple
> as using a turbulent gradient y texture map.

Currently, I'm using a constant color with small scale bumps.  I'll try
the color_map (bozo might work better than turbulent gradient, but I'll
try both).

>> - The bricks (and mortar) show the correct bumpiness on the window-side;
>> but the other sides are completely smooth.
>
> Maybe changing the Brick_Func line to this?
>
> Brick_Func(x,y,z)*(f_noise3d(x*0.02,y*0.02,z*0.02)/2)

Hmm... now every side of the bricks is smooth.

If I can't get them working, then I'll just bite the bullet and fake it
with patterned textures and normal maps.  I'd much prefer the isosurface
version, though - I'm not that great with textures (as you can see).

>> I've got a bunch of other stuff I want to do with this image
>
> You lost the double reflection in the window that the first image had. That
> really grabbed my attention because I think it adds to any realism you might
> be after.

That's interesting - technically, the double reflection is still there
(it's caused by a reflection "inside" the window, as well as the
reflection on the surface).  I can even see it if I look closely.  Must
be something with the reflection values (I think I lowered them this
time) or the lighting - I'll see if I can get that back.

(I *could* also increase the thickness of the window, so the double
reflection is more obvious as it would be offset more from the main one
- not technically accurate, but artistically useful anyway).

...Chambers